Plank jack to mountain climbers exercise is a combined cardio and core-strengthening exercise. This tougher variation can help you strengthen the muscles of both the upper and lower body.
Plank jack to mountain climbers is an effective exercise for working the core muscles along with getting the benefits of cardiovascular exercise. Cardiovascular exercise can help you burn calories and control your weight. They can also help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
How To Do Plank jacks to mountain climbers exercise
- Begin in plank position with the arms extended and hands under the shoulders, feet together.
- Engage the abs to help protect the lower back from injury.
- Keeping the hips low and the spine in a straight line, complete a specified number of plank jacks followed by the same amount of mountain climbers.
- Stay in plank position while you are quickly jumping the feet back together.
- During the mountain climbers, make sure to use the core and exhale to bring the knees in toward the chest.
Beginners tip: Keep this move low impact by “walking” through your each movement instead of jumping.
- To get the most out of the climbers, be sure to check that your bottom isn’t up in the air and that your hands are directly under your shoulders.
- Keep your core engaged during the entire move. This can help protect the lower back from injury.
- Keep your body in a straight line and don’t let your hips sink in.
- Keep your Abs tight while climbing try to avoid arching your back by thinking of having a long spine.
- Try to keep light on your toes.
- This should be a fast pace, so try to get your legs up as fast as you can, but if you’re new to climbers, take it slowly, and increase the range of your legs as you become more confident and experienced in the exercise.
- Stop if you feel tired, dizzy or overheated.
- The plank position can put stress on the wrist. If you have a wrist injury or wrist pain, the Plank jack to mountain climbers should be avoided or modified.
Benefits of Plank jacks to mountain climbers exercise
The Plank jack to mountain climbers is an explosive bodyweight exercise that engages multiple muscle groups at once to help improve your balance, agility, coordination, strength, flexibility and circulation.
The bodyweight Plank jacks to mountain climbers exercise primarily targets Upper Abs, Lower Abs, Transverse Abdominis muscles while strengthen your arms, back, shoulders, and legs. Incorporating this compound movement into your exercise routine a few times a week can increase core strength and stability, burn calories and help reduce fat.
Another benefit of using multiple muscles at once is an increase in heart rate, which will help you burn more calories. This is a great exercise if your goal is to get more definition in your abdominal area.
The exercise can also improve your reflex speed, joint range of motion and overall stability. The good news is that you don’t need to go to the nearest mountain to do this exercise!
Plank jack to mountain climbers can help reduce lower back pain while strengthen your core muscles, but you should talk to your doctor before performing this exercise if you have a back, shoulder or other injury.
Try it out
Increase your difficulty level by performing following exercises into one of these popular workouts. This will develop power, leg strength, core strength, build balance and stability and flexibility.
- Mountain climbers and roll
- Lateral Lunge to Basketball Throw
- Jumping lunge and kick
- Jumping rope
- Donkey hop to one leg reach
- High knees
- Air jacks
- Knee to elbow plank
- Kettlebell or dumbbell swing
- Straight bridge
- Bear crawl
Give it a try. So now you have burpees, jumping (lung, rope), mountain climbers and roll and Plank jack to mountain climbers to add to your daily exercise.